Cooking with my heart and soul... and garlic!

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Vanilla Chai Tea Latte Cupcakes with Cinnamon Nutmeg Cream Cheese Frosting

Fall is in full swing and what better way to enjoy the fall flavors then a Vanilla Chai Tea Cupcake?? 

Over the weekend Garlic Goddess had a birthday party to attend. It was one of my good friends shin digs and I decided that the nutmegish/chai tea flavoring was the best flavor combo to go with. 

The batter is pretty easy. I used a Vanilla Chai tea mix as well as some nutmeg, cinnamon etc. 

As for the frosting well I'm in love w cream cheese frosting - so I added some cinnamon and vanilla to go with the chai in the cupcake. 

Makes 24 cupcakes 





  • 1 3/4 cups flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. cardamom
  • 1 tsp. ginger
  • 2 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup apple sauce
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 1/2 chai tea latte mix - made according to directions 
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Combine the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet in another. Carefully incorporate the dry into the wet. My batter was rather liquid-y don't fret! And I actually had enough for about 27 cupcakes. 
Before I put them in the oven!
Bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes depending on your oven. Meanwhile start making the frosting. 


Frosting
16 oz low fat cream cheese 
3 tbsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp cinnamon 
2 tbsp nutmeg 
2 or 3 cups confectioners sugar 

Either using your hand mixer or my favorite, immersion blender, combine all the ingredients. 


(This cream cheese mixture would be great on a toasted cinnamon raisin bagel! yummm! Great for a fancy brunch and yet so simple- just how I like it) 











Since I was going to my friend's Birthday Party I wanted to have a bit of a fancier icing decoration - rather then just taking my spatula and smoothing the icing across. So I used a zip lock bag and cup the tip off. Worked a lot better then I had anticipated and my cupcakes looked like they came from some boutique cupcake joint.( If I do say so myself)











 I sprinkled the top of the cupcake with cinnamon and nutmeg, because well if you've ever gotten a Chai Tea Latte from Starbucks - that's what they do! 

















Hope you enjoy this fall-licious cupcakes!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment