Cooking with my heart and soul... and garlic!

Friday, October 29, 2010

Salmon Filets with Lemon, Stone Ground Mustard & Dill, Pan Roasted Garlic & Lemon Green Beans & Cold Mediterranean Orzo Salad

My inspiration for this meal comes from the unusually warm weather we've been having and the uncanny amount of candy I've been eating. I was in the mood for something extremely light and healthy to balance out the 50 mini twixs I stuffed my face with earlier in the day.


 I researched some Salmon recipes and made this one up - combining my favorite things from each. The cold Mediterranean Orzo salad's inspiration came from this Greek Panzanella Salad I make a lot. I wanted the same flavors but slightly different texture so this is what I came up with. The string beans I pan roasted with Garlic, Lemon and Olive oil. This is my favorite combo for any vegetable, it turns them instantly into nature's candy. 


Mediterranean Orzo Salad


1 lb box or orzo 
2 small cucumbers
4 medium tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic - crushed
1/2 cup of kalamata olives
1/2 cup of red wine vinegar
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup roasted red peppers
Juice of 1 whole lemon 
1/2 cup mozzarella or feta cheese - I used Mozzarella because that's what I had on hand. 


Since the Mediterranean Orzo Salad is served cold start making that first. Put a Pot of salted water on and bring it to a boil. While waiting for the water to come to a boil. Wash and cut all the vegetables into 1 inch bite size pieces. Cook the orzo according to the directions on the box. Once cooked to your desired tenderness drain and rinse the pasta with cold water. Once drained, throw everything into the bowl mix well and place in refrigerator for at least an hour.  ( I forgot to take a picture of everything together hanging out in the fridge! Opps!)



After the Orzo Salad is assembled move onto the String Beans.


Pan roasted garlic, lemon String Beans


A Big Bundle of String Beans - depends on how many people your feeding
Juice from 2 whole Lemons
4 gloves of garlic crushed


 Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Wash and snap the ends off of each bean. Place the beans on a roasting pan and drizzle with lemon juice, olive oil and crushed garlic. Roast in oven for 1o to 15 minutes. I like to roast the lemons I squeezed and when they come out of the oven squeeze any remaining juices onto the beans. Shut the oven off and leave in the oven until ready to serve. 


Even the beans when they are cold are amazing! You could even combine the cold beans right in with the cold Mediterranean salad. 




Salmon Filets with Lemon, Stone ground mustard & Dill
Serves 5 


5 Salmon Filets - I like wild salmon rather then farm raised
A Bundle of fresh dill
1/2 cup to a 1 cup of extra virgin olive oil
5 cloves garlic
Juice from 2 while lemons + lemon slices
4 tbsp of Stone Ground Mustard 
Salt and pepper 




Whisk the Olive oil, Lemon juice, Mustard and salt and pepper together. Marinate the Salmon for about 15 mintues in the mixture. 


Before cooking place fresh dill and lemon slices on top of each filet. Cook on the Stove top from about 15 minutes (depending on the thickness). After Salmon is cooked throughly serve immediately - I like to serve it with some stone ground mustard on the side and be sure to squeeze the lemon slices onto the salmon as well. 








Bon Appetit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment